Queenstown   (03) 441 0499    |  Wanaka   (03) 443 0024  

Welcome to Building Services

Building Framing

Building Plans

Building Checklist

Building Control

What is a building consent?

Building consent is approval from the Council for building work to be done at a specific site. It ensures that the work is structurally sound, plumbing and drainage is sanitary and that minimum fire standards have been met.

Work carried out without a building consent is illegal and could put people or your property at risk. It could also affect your insurance cover or property sale negotiations.

When do you need a building consent?

Building consent is required for most building work, for example:

  • New buildings and alterations/extensions to existing buildings.
  • Swimming pools – removing an inground pool or installing a swimming/spa/paddling pool with a depth of 400mm or more.  This includes alterations to a swimming pool.
  • Retaining walls, garages and carports.
  • Some decks and fences.
  • Plumbing and drainage work.
  • Heating (including fire places), ventilation and air conditioning systems.
  • Demolition work.
  • Relocation or change of use of buildings.
  • Replacing a roof with a different material than what is currently there.
  • Locating your hot water cylinder in another position.
  • Some shade sails.
  • Solar panels.

Some work is exempt from needing a building consent. If you are unsure, please contact the duty building officer by phoning 03 450 0300 (Queenstown) or 03 443 0006 (Wanaka) or email .

Services Provided